This unusual salad has a tropical bent, making it a perfect accompaniment to Southeast Asian and Caribbean dishes. We highly recommend baking the sweet potatoes to bring out the sweet flavor and produce the most pleasant texture, but this salad would still be great made with steamed or boiled sweet potatoes, which will cook in half the time.
Baking time: 40 to 60 minutes
- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dressing or Curried Mango Yogurt Dressing
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 celery stalks (about 1 cup chopped)
- red onion
- 1 fresh or preserved chile (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, pierce them in several places with a fork or paring knife, and bake them until soft, 40 to 60 minutes, depending on their size. Meanwhile, prepare the Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dressing and store it in the refrigerator.
- While the dressing chills, seed and chop the bell pepper, chop the celery, thinly slice the red onion, and mince the chile, if desired.
- Place all of the prepared ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Remove the baked sweet potatoes from the oven, and when they are cool enough to handle, peel and cube them.
- Add them to the bowl and gently toss with the other ingredients.
- Carefully stir in the dressing.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
PER 8-OZ SERVING: 200 CALORIES, 5.2 G PROTEIN, B G FAT, 44.2 G CARBOHYDRATES, .2 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, .3 G POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 G M0N0UNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, I MG CHOLESTEROL, 97 MG SODIUM, 4.9 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER