These toasted slices of baguette spread with herbed chèvre are a good accompaniment for a light soup or stew such as Navarin of Spring Vegetables, or add them to your favorite green salad for a certain savoir faire.
- 2½ ounces of goat cheese (chèvre)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or parsley
- to 1 tablespoon milk or buttermilk
- 1 thin baguette (French bread) cut into about 12 slices
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- In a small bowl with a fork, mash together the goat cheese and chives or parsley with enough milk or buttermilk to make a spreadable consistency and set aside.
- Toast the baguette slices in a toaster or toaster oven, or on an unoiled baking sheet in the oven, until crisp and lightly browned. If desired, slice the garlic clove in half and gently rub the cut sides on one side of each of the "toasts." Top each with the chèvre spread and serve immediately.
PER 3-OUNCE SERVING: 251 CALORIES, 9.3 G PROTEIN, 5.8 G FAT, 39.6 G CARBOHYDRATES, 2.9 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 9 MG CHOLESTEROL, 522 MG SODIUM, 2.1 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER.