Recipe Type: Main Dish, Stew
Total time: 55 mins
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 red or green bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can of butter beans or black beans, drained
- flatbread (tortillas, lavash, or pita)
- plain yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Stem and seed the peppers and cut
- into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut it stem end to root end into thin wedges. In a
- bowl, toss the vegetables with the garlic, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Spread on the prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Stir and continue to roast for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- While the vegetables roast, puree the tomatoes, chipotles, and cilantro in a blender until
- smooth. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are tender, put them into a 2- to 3-quart baking
- dish, stir in the tomato-cilantro sauce and the beans, and return to the oven until hot,
- about 10 minutes.
- A few minutes before serving, warm the bread in the oven.
- Serve the stew in bowls topped with yogurt or sour cream ( if desired), with warm flatbread on the side.