We make these garlic mashed potatoes with Yukon Gold, Butter, or any other yellow variety for the beautiful golden color and smooth texture. The potatoes and garlic are cooked together, then mashed with buttermilk for extra smoothness and a hint of that “sour cream” taste.
They’re very good, they have almost no fat, and we promise you won’t need any butter! Add more or less garlic, depending on how much garlicky flavor you like.
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes (¼-inch cubes)
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warmed buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a covered pot, combine the potatoes, garlic, water and salt and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potato cubes are soft and knife can be easily inserted and withdrawn.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic with the buttermilk. Stir in the pepper.
- Serve piping hot.