The flavor of this sauce is almost like a combination of caramel and cappuccino. It is a wonderfully quick ice cream topping and all-purpose dessert sauce. We like it on everything from ice cream to fresh bananas to fruit-filled crepes. In fact, why not fresh bananas and vanilla ice cream wrapped in a crepe and topped with the sauce? Mmmn . . . temper that New Year’s resolution–the one about practicing austerity–with one about enjoying the sweetness of life!
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, until the coffee and sugar have dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and serve warm or at room temperature.
For a stronger cappuccino taste, use instant espresso granules.
For a vegan, non-dairy sauce, try substituting almond milk for the heavy cream.