Sesame Tofu with Spinach
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 cake firm tofu (about 16 ounces)
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- a few drops Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach, rinsed
- salt and pepper
- Slice the block of tofu lengthwise into 4 rectangular slabs.
- Then slice the slabs in half to make 8 roughly square pieces.
- Spread the sesame seeds on a plate.
- Press all of the surfaces of each tofu square into the sesame seeds to coat evenly.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Arrange the tofu squares in a single layer in the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes.
- With a spatula, carefully turn them over and cook for about 5 minutes on the other side.
- Add the soy sauce and Tabasco, turn the tofu squares over, and cook for another minute, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer the tofu squares to a plate. (Leave stray sesame seeds in the pan.)
- Add the oil and the garlic to the skillet and saute for about 30 seconds, until golden.
- Add the still damp rinsed spinach and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly, until wilted but still bright green.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the spinach on a platter and top with the tofu.
- SERVES 4
- TIME: 30 MINUTES
Serve with rice, soba noodles, orzo, or roasted sweet potatoes