Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 ¼ cups half-and-half (light cream) or milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- teaspoon cinnamon
- teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel (the peel of 1 orange)
- cup raisins or currants
- 2 medium apples, cored and finely chopped (optional)
- freshly whipped cream (optional)
- Butter a deep casseroled dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 325°.
- In a blender or mixing bowl combine the half-and-half, eggs. vanilla, spices, and honey. In a large bowl thoroughly mix the rice, egg mixture, grated orange peel, raisins, and chopped apples.
- Pour the pudding into the casserole dish and bake uncovered for an hour, until the custard is set and the pudding begins to brown lightly at the edges.
- Stir the pudding thoroughly at 20-minute intervals while it is baking and add a small amount of milk if it becomes too dry.
- Serve Creamy Rice Pudding hot from the oven or chill it and serve it cold later.
- A dollop of fresh whipped cream adds the perfect finishing touch to each serving.
Reprinted from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Copyright © 1987 by Moosewood, Inc.; Ten Speed Press. publisher.
by Moosewood, Inc.; Ten Speed Press. publisher.