All around Ithaca we’re seeing loads of zucchini being harvested. Here’s a yummy way to use this versatile squash.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Oil two 5 X 9-inch loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla and zucchini.
- In a smaller bowl, sift together the flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and soda.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the oil and egg mixture until just moistened.
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Reprinted from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Copyright © 1987 by Moosewoood, Inc.; Ten Speed Press, publishers.
Reprinted from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, by Moosewoood, Inc.; Ten Speed Press, publishers.