Savory Bread and Cheese Bake
Recipe type: main dish
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces crusty bread (French, Italian, or sourdough)
- 1 cup grated cheese, such as Cheddar, Swiss, or Monterey Jack
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 generous tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Put the butter in a 2-quart baking dish and place in the oven to
- When the butter is melted, swirl it around to coat the dish.
- While the butter melts, cut the bread into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups, loosely packed). Place the bread cubes in the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese and scallions.
- Puree the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard in a blender, or beat the eggs in a bowl
- and then whisk in the other ingredients.
- Pour the custard over the bread and use a spatula to push the bread down into the custard.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 25 to 30 minutes (depending on the shape and depth of the baking dish).
- Remove the foil and bake until puffy and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Good made with rye, pumpernickel, or whole wheat bread.