Recipe type: Main dish Grain
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta cornmeal
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
FRESH TOMATO TOPPING
- 4 large tomatoes or 8 to 10 plum tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- To make the polenta: In a saucepan, bring the water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- Add the cornmeal in a slow, steady stream while whisking.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the polenta is thick.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping:
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges; in a saucepan on medium-low heat, cook the garlic in the oil for a minute; add the tomatoes, salt, oregano, and vinegar and simmer for about 5 minutes, just until hot.
- When the polenta is thick, reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.
- Fold in the spinach, a couple of handfuls at a time, until just wilted.
- Serve the polenta hot, topped with the tomatoes and more cheese if you wish.