Carrot Applesauce Cake
Recipe type: dessert
- 2 cups unbleached white flour (up to 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour may be substituted)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins or dried currants
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar, honey and/or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups finely grated carrots
- sesame seeds
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Oil a 10-inch bundt or tube pan or a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the bottom and partway up the sides of the oiled pan; set the pan aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Stir in the oil, sweetener(s), vanilla, applesauce, and carrots and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir until just mixed, and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When done, allow the cake to sit in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
- Then invert it onto a plate and dust it lightly with powdered sugar.