Torta del Cielo
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 ½ cups finely ground almonds
- ⅔ cup unbleached white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto (almond liqueur)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 6 egg whites
- I teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- strawberries (fresh or unsweetened frozen)
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- Stir together the almonds, flour, and salt; set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks at high speed with an electric mixer for about 6 minutes or until they are thick and lightly colored.
- Add the Amaretto and vanilla.
- Gradually add ⅓ cup of the sugar, beating until it is dissolved; set this mixture aside.
- Wash and dry the beaters thoroughly. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add ⅓ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites.
- Then gently fold in the flour mixture, about a third at a time.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert the pan onto a plate.
- After about 30 minutes, loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a knife and remove the pan.
- Serve topped with strawberries and whipped cream.
Serve topped with strawberries and whipped cream.