Yah Mon! This is a spicy sweet version of the classic Caribbean cooking sauce. For best flavor, marinate tofu, tempeh, vegetables, fish, or shrimp in the jerk sauce for at least 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator before grilling. If desired, brush additional Jerk Sauce onto foods as they’re being grilled.
Jerk Sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks. Keep a batch in your refrigerator and jazz up backyard barbecues or grill-fests in a snap.
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 1 to 2 red or green fresh chiles, seeded for a milder "hot"
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Add more salt to taste, if desired.