A fresh curry powder that is mildly hot and packs a flavorful punch compared to commercial blends, which may sit on store shelves for months past their prime. Stir into butter or mayonnaise and use to flavor rice, roasted potatoes, or fish.
Yields 1/2 Cup
- 4 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Toast the cumin seeds until aromatic, a couple of minutes, in a hot, dry skillet while stirring or shaking continuously, or in a toaster oven.
- Allow to cool before grinding.
- In a spice grinder, whirl all of the spices until finely ground.
- Allow the spice grinder to sit for a minute before removing the cover to avoid the discomfort of cayenne dust in your eyes and nose.
- Store Curry Powder in a tightly covered jar in the cupboard.