This easy dessert glorifies fresh peaches at then peak, but strawberries or pitted fresh sweet cherries can stand in for the peaches. Crisp sugar cookies or ginger snaps can replace the amaretti (crisp Italian almond-flavored cookies), in which case you may wish to substitute 1 teaspoon of vanilla for the amaretto when whipping the cream. The peaches can he prepared and the cream whipped several hours ahead of time, covered, and chilled, but the parfaits should be assembled at the last minute.
- 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 2 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur, such as amaretto
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 ripe fresh peaches
- 8 amaretti, crumbled
- Whip the cream, amaretto, and confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Peel and slice the peaches.
- In individual dessert cups or parfait glasses, layer half of the peach slices, top with half of the cookie crumbs, and spoon in half of the whipped cream.
- Repeat with a second layer of each, then serve immediately.