While curries are very popular all throughout the Caribbean, they are especially notable in Trinidad and Tobago, where much of the population has East Indian ancestors.
Yields 1 cup
Curried Spice Rub
- 3 or 4 fresh chiles, seeded for a milder "hot"
- 8 large garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup grated fresh ginger root
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- vegetable oil for brushing
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a mini-food processor and whirl until well combined.
- Or, by hand, mince the chiles and garlic, and stir together in a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly brush vegetable oil on the food to be grilled before applying the rub; this will help it cling.
- Curried Spice Rub will keep for 2 to 3 weeks, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
- Yields 1 cup