Rubs can be used to heighten the flavor of grilled foods, roasted vegetables, and baked or broiled fish and seafood. You can apply them just before cooking or, for more pronounced flavor, rub them on 1 to 3 hours before cooking. Always marinate perishable foods like tofu, tempeh, fish, and seafood in the refrigerator. Try this recipe for Herbed Garlic Rub or the Curried Spice Rub next time you grill.
The 1 cup yield will provide plenty of seasoning for a meal that serves 4 to 6 people. Use about 1/4 cup of rub per pound of sliced tofu or tempeh, and 1 to 2 tablespoons per 6-ounce fish fillet. A light coating is sufficient for cut vegetables: Use about 1/2 cup of rub per 4 to 5 cups of sliced vegetables.
Yield: 1 cup
- ¼ cup minced or pressed garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary (1 tablespoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Let sit for at least 5 minutes so the flavors develop.
- Rub the mixture directly on the foods to be grilled.
- In a tightly covered container in the refrigerator, Herbed Garlic Rub will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.