Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh dill (2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground dried mustard
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups buttermilk
- salt to taste
- chopped scallions
- In a soup pot, combine the onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, dill, lemon juice, mustard, and caraway seeds and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the carrots are tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup with the buttermilk, working in batches.
- Add salt to taste.
- Gently reheat.
- Serve topped with chopped scallions.
PER 10-0Z SERVING: 143 CALORIES, 6.5 G PROTEIN, 1.4 G FAT, 28.3 G CARBOHYDRATES, .5 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, .4 G POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, .3 G MONOUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 3 MG CHOLESTEROL, 158 MG SODIUM, 5.5 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER