This recipe was created by our own Jacqueline Lisa Wichman.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt black pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the celery and ginger and continue to cook until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the sweet potatoes, water, bay leaf, and salt and pepper and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Purée the soup mixture with the milk and heavy cream, in small batches in a blender or food processor.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste and reheat gently.
- Take care not to boil the soup.