- 5 large bell peppers (green, red, yellow, orange, or a combination)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil sprinkling of salt
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup polenta cornmeal
- 1½ cups corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1½ cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped Spanish olives
- 1 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds, but leave the stem ends on so the peppers will hold their shape.
- Brush the pepper halves with oil, inside and out, and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place cut-side up on an oiled baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender but still holding their shape, about 15 minutes.
- While the peppers roast, in a heavy saucepan, bring the water, salt, and red pepper flakes to a boil.
- Add the polenta in a slow, steady stream while whisking; cook on medium heat, stirring often, until thickened.
- Stir in the corn, oil or butter, 1 cup of the cheese, and the olives; remove from the heat.
- Fill the roasted pepper halves with the polenta mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese and return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, combine the salsa, black beans, and cilantro in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- To serve, spoon some of the black bean salsa on each dinner plate and place one or two pepper halves on top.