Yields 3 cups
Lemon Custard Sauce
Recipe type: topping, sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- In a stainless steel or enamel saucepan (aluminum will give the custard a metallic taste), mix the first four ingredients.
- Slowly stir in the water.
- Heat, stirring constantly, on medium-high heat until the sauce thickens.
- Whisk a cup of the hot sauce into the beaten egg yolks.
- Stir the warmed yolk mixture back into the saucepan and cook for one minute more, continuing to stir.
- Remove from the heat and blend in the butter and lemon juice.