Fettucine with Fresh Herbs
Recipe type: main dish, pasta
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound fettuccine or other pasta
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ cup minced fresh basil
- ½ cup minced chives or scallions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- Bring a large covered pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garlic and herbs.
- Warm the oil in a small pan on low heat. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute until the garlic is golden; don't let it brown.
- Add the herbs and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, ladle about ½ cup of the hot pasta-cooking water into the pan, and set aside.
- When the pasta is done, drain it. Place the drained pasta in a serving bowl, add the herb and oil mixture and the salt and pepper, and toss well.
- Toss in some grated cheese if you like.
- Serve right away.
If you have a garden filled with herbs, you may want to add some other fresh herbs such as thyme, sage, marjoram, mint, chervil, oregano, or summer savory.