Yields about 8 cups
Recipe type: stock
- 3 whole heads of garlic
- 10 cups water
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs.
- Remove the loose, papery outer skins of the heads of garlic and break them apart into cloves; (there is no need to peel the cloves.)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain the stock and use it right away, or refrigerate it in a sealed container for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months.
PER 8-OUNCE SERVING 16 CALORIES, 0 8G PROTEIN, 0 G FAT, 4 G CARBOHYDRATES, 0 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 MG CHOLESTEROL, 160 MG SODIUM, 0.8 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER