Tunisian Vegetable Stew
- ¼ cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- dash of salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 3 cups un-drained canned tomatoes, chopped (28-ounce can)
- 1½ cups drained cooked chick peas (16-ounce can)
- ⅓ cup currants or raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- grated feta cheese (optional)
- toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the olive oil for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the cabbage, sprinkle with salt, and continue to sauté for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell pepper, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne to the skillet and sauté for another minute or so.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chick peas, and optional currants or raisins, and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Top with feta and toasted almonds if you like.
- Serve on couscous or another grain of your choice
PER 8-OZ SERVING: 150 CALORIES, 4.8 G PROTEIN, 5.1 G FAT, 23 G CARBOHYDRATE, 354 MG SODIUM, 0 MG CHOLESTEROL.