Yields 9 cups
Tomato Tortilla Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 cups diced onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotles in adobo sauce or more to taste
- 1½ cups crumbled corn tortilla chips
- In a soup pot on medium heat, cook the onions in the oil for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cumin and oregano and stir for a minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and chipotles, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pulverize the tortilla chips in a blender.
- Add about 3 cups of the hot soup to the blender and purée until smooth.
- To make pouring easier, add another cup of hot soup and whirl on low speed.
- Stir the purée into the simmering soup pot; serve hot.