What could be better than this luscious, versatile fruit soup accompanied by a cold, savory main dish salad for a summer brunch? Or try it as an elegant dessert accompanied by almond cookies or biscotti. For the best flavor, use fresh, very ripe peaches and add peach, orange, or almond liqueur for a special touch.
For a delicious and artful effect, swirl blueberry or raspberry sauce into the soup just before serving. On a sizzling day in August, freeze the peaches and then blend them with the other ingredients for a peaches ‘n’ cream “slushy.” If you have gorgeous fresh peaches, you may not want to drink anything else.
Yields 4 cups
Total prep time: 10 minutes
Optional Chilling time: 15-30 min
- 2½ to 3 cups sliced fresh or thawed frozen peaches*
- 2 tablespoons sugar, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- generous dash of cinnamon
- In a blender, puree all of the ingredients until smooth. Serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.