Spinach Artichoke Risotto
Recipe type: main dish
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 tablespoon dried dill (2 tablespoons chopped fresh)
- 10 ounces baby spinach, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Optional: 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces) or a sharp vegan cheese
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle
- In a large, heavy saucepan on medium-high heat, cook the garlic in the oil until golden,
- just a few seconds.
- Add the rice, stirring to coat each grain with oil.
- Stir in the wine, artichoke hearts, and dill if using dried.
- Cook, stirring often, until the wine is absorbed.
- Ladle in the hot broth a cup at a time, stirring frequently. After each addition, cook until the rice has absorbed most of the broth before adding the next ladleful.
- When most of the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender but still al dente, stir in the
- spinach, in batches if necessary.
- When the spinach is wilted but still bright green, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the scallions, feta cheese, and dill if using fresh.
- Serve at once.