Makes about 1 cup
BRAZILIAN HOT PEPPER AND LEMON SAUCE
Makes about 1 cup Preparation time: 10 minutes Sitting time: at least 1 hour
- 2 or 3 fresh chiles (such as malagueta, tabasco, or habanero), seeded and chopped, or 4 or 5 preserved chiles
- 1 red onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed and minced
- ½cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and puree just until a coarse sauce is produced.
- If using a blender, you may have to stop several times and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- To prepare by hand, mince the chiles, onions, and garlic and mix in the lemon juice and salt.
- Let the flavors meld for at least an hour at room temperature or for 3 hours refrigerated. Serve at room temperature.
- This sauce can be kept covered in the refrigerator for 3 days.
PER 2-OZ SERVING: 24 CALORIES, .7 G PROTEIN, 1 G FAT, 6.4 G CARBOHYDRATES, 0 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 G POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 G MONOUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 MG CHOLESTEROL, 301 MG SODIUM, .9 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER