Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- In a covered saucepan, sauté the onions in the oil for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer on a heat diffuser or on very low heat for about 40 minutes, until the rice is tender.
PER 7-OZ SERVING: 186 CALORIES, 4.1 G PROTEIN, 2 0 G FAT, 3 8 . 4 G CARBOHYDRATES, .3 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, .9 G POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, .6 G MONO UNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 MG CHOLESTEROL, 3 0 4 MG SODIUM, 1.0 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER