Recipe type: Sauce
Serves: 7 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups diced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 28-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (1 teaspoon dried)
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained
- ⅓ cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Warm the oil in a covered pot on medium-low heat, add the onions, garlic, and salt and cook for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes, capers, and olives, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the fresh basil and add salt to taste.
Serve Puttanesca Sauce over pasta with grated Parmesan or your favorite sharp Italian cheese. Or ladle some over stuffed peppers, stuffed portabellas, plain or breaded baked fish fillets, eggplant, seasoned polenta, or anything that would be enhanced by this highly flavored sauce.