Indonesian Sweet Potato & Cabbage soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups chopped cabbage (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2½ cups diced sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- mung bean sprouts (optional)
- chopped cilantro, scallions, mint, and/or Thai basil (optional)
- In a soup pot on medium heat, cook the ginger, garlic, and cayenne in the oil for a minute before adding the onions and salt.
- Cover and cook, stirring often, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and sweet potatoes.
- Add about 3½ cups of the broth.
- Cover and increase the heat to bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and the remaining ½ cup of broth until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter mixture to the soup with the tomatoes and soy sauce.
- Simmer covered until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve each bowl topped with bean sprouts and cilantro, scallions, mint, and/or basil.
Yields 8 CUPS