Who doesn’t like sweet potato fries? Here is a very easy, very satisfying alternative, baked in just a little seasoned olive oil.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Author: Moosewood Collective
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4 servings
Roasting intensifies the natural sugars in sweet potatoes. These sweeter sweet potatoes come out of the oven soft in the center and crisp around the edges.
- 2½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them into rounds about ½ inch thick.
- If the potatoes are large, cut them in half lengthwise and then into half-rounds. (You should have 7 or 8 cups.)
- In a bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, salt, and a dash of pepper.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes.
- Stir, and return to the oven until they are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Variation: Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 teaspoon of ground coriander and 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, or a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.